Baby Deltic Class 23 D5901

The British Rail Class 23 were a class of ten Bo-Bo diesel-electric locomotives built by the English Electric Company (EE) in 1959. The power unit used was a Napier Deltic T9-29 9-cylinder engine of 1,100 bhp (820 kW) driving an EE generator, which powered the four traction motors. They were numbered from D5900 to D5909.

D5909 was the only locomotive to receive the full "rail blue" livery.

D5901 was transferred to the departmental fleet of the Railway Technical Centre in 1969. It worked test trains to and from the RTC until 1975, when it was replaced by a Class 24. The loco was cut up in 1977, still carrying two-tone green livery with a grey roof and small yellow warning panel.

Photos as credited

The loco is pictured with the Trib train on the Goods Road at the back of Derby station

David Hills

The Baby Deltic near Etwall on the Mickleover test track in 1970

Gerald Anthony

At Leicester 1972

Author

D5901 on the Goods Road at the back of Derby station on 26th October 1973

Mike Priestley

At Lincoln West in summer 1975 with the Trib Train

Alan Hoggett

At Lincoln West in summer 1975 with the Trib Train

Alan Hoggett

At Lincoln West in summer 1975 with the Trib Train including Lab 11

Alan Hoggett

Back to R&DD index

Back to RTC Rolling Stock index

Back to Main Index