Test Car 3
Construction of the new LMS Dynamometer Car No:3 commenced at Derby C&W Works shortly before the outbreak of war in 1939, but it was not completed until a decade later, soon after the formation of British Railways in January 1948.
Initial trial runs were made in late April 1949 and it ultimately made 1,086 scheduled test runs between May 1949 and July 1975, covering an estimated 147,616 miles. Although originally designed to test steam locomotives, in the event it was also employed to evaluate diesel and electric locomotives and also the Prototype High Speed Train on the East Coast Main Line in June 1973.
During its working life this vehicle has carried several liveries, i.e. BR 'blood and custard' , BR maroon and latterly the BR Research Department 'Red and Blue'. Restored in 1979 it has been lettered LMS in recognition of its origins although not actually completed until after Nationalisation in 1947.
It is now part of the National Collection and was cosmetically restored at Barrow Hill.
In June 2011 the vehicle moved to the MRC, Butterley where it is housed in the museum at Swanwick Jcn. It is intended to restore the vehicle.
Pictures are BR official unless otherwise credited
|As built c1948|
|Inside with the Hasler recording table prominent|
|On a test train at Sudbury Jcn WR with a Black Five in August 1949. Note the MTU high-sided divided tender|
|In blood and custard livery with a 9F on performance testing|
|With the Deltic near Armathwaite S&C circa 1961 in blood and custard|
|On a Cartic test on 18th August 1967- now in maroon|
|Iron ore tippler test at Wellingborough|
|On the Ashbourne Buxton line|
|With Kestrel at Crewe in 1967|
|At Derby North Junction|
|In the prototype
HST formation as Test Car 3 on in February 1973 now wearing the
RTC'sl red and blue livery
|As restored at
|Pictured at the
Midland Railway centre at Swanwick on 22nd June 2011
|The extra road wheel used for speed and distance measurement|
Inside today (Photographs courtesy MRT)
|The control desk||Mobile Test Unit control panel|
|The Hasler table||Signal conditioning amplifiers from the last days of operation in the early 1970's - still there in 2011|
|Staff rest area||Washroom|
|The kitchen area||Coach end instrumentation cable connections|
Back to Test Cars
Back to main index